Friday, March 7, 2014

Dog Days are Over

There is a band called Florence and the Machine and they sing a song called "Dog Days are Over." It's a pretty cool song and they're a pretty cool band. They've been around since I was in high school and one time Glee covered "Dog Days are Over," which is why I know it at all. I heard it again the other day for the first time in a long while and listened to the words. 

I was struck by how much they sounded to me like I feel when I think about my salvation -


Happiness hit her like a train on a track

Coming towards her stuck but still no turning back
She hid under corners and she hid under beds 
She killed it with kisses and from it she fled
With every bubble she sank with her drink
And washed it away down the kitchen sink

The dog days are over

The dog days are done
The horses are coming
So you better run

Run fast for your mother, run fast for your father

Run for your children, for your sisters and brothers
Leave all your love and your longing behind
You can't carry it with you if you want to survive

The dog days are over

The dog days are done
Can you hear the horses?
Cause here they come

And I never wanted anything from you

Except everything you had and what was left after that too
Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back
Struck from a great height from someone who should know better than that

Jesus wants all of me, no reservations, no hesitations. I can try to hide but He loves me and knows that I need Him and He comes and picks me up and hugs me. He wants my emotion and my sense. He wants me to commit the rest of my life to Him. He wants all of me and then more. Every day starting with the day He is mine is filled with the joy of the Lord. He wants me to throw off what hinders me and run run run to Him. He wants me to bring with me my life, my family, my concerns, my baggage. 


How awesome is it that something that this band wrote concerning something else is, to me, so obviously about Jesus and how drastically life changes when I let Him in to mine? God glorifies Himself through a great variety of ways, and in everything, even if we don't catch it. He created everything for His own glory. And I love getting to see that. 


The dog days are over. Days can still be sad or no fun or hard, but I have a hope and a joy that I never had before that gets me through things and gives me a reason for life. 


love,
Lauralicious

No comments:

Post a Comment