Friday, May 3, 2013

Not Quite Home But Still Sweet Holmes

So I moved out of my dorm today. It was pretty weird. I started packing on Tuesday, then last night I packed up everything I own with the exception of the clothes I was planning to wear today, my toothbrush, makeup, hairbrush, and bedding. Then this morning I went to work and when I was done I started packing up the car!...which took two hours to do. And a lot of rides up and down the elevator. But then I was done. My RA checked me out and then I walked out of my room for the last time ever. 

It was pretty weird. I spent about 8 months in that room, eating, plucking my eyebrows, sleeping, doing homework, folding clothes, brushing my teeth, watching movies instead of doing homework, washing dishes with hand soap, missing my parents, and a lot of other stuff. 

Dorm life was not my favorite of all my lives. I didn't so much love that I had one room, which was half the size and double the population that I was accustomed to, to do everything in. But it wasn't awful. I learned a lot. A lot. And I had tons of fun. Tons. I laughed and I cried and I hiccuped in that room, along with a lot of other things. 

So next year I'll be in an apartment, and I'll have my own room (!!!!), along with a kitchen and a living room and a bathroom and it's going to be awesome. However, I'm going to miss Holmes 517. It didn't quite feel like home to me, but I knew it was where I lived and I became very comfortable in it. 

I feel like I'm currently in a state of life where I'm a semi-nomad. Not completely homeless or anything, but I don't have a permanent home. I'll be at home for part of the summer, and at Camp for part of the summer, then I'll be in my apartment next year, but I know I won't be there forever. It's an interesting feeling.

Some things I've learned from being in college/a grownup:

1. Life doesn't revolve around college students. I've always heard grownups say this and I was aware of it, especially because I grew up in Clemson around all the students, so I didn't think it would be a problem for me. But then it was. When you're a student, you're pretty much only around other students, with a few exceptions, and you're on your own. You don't have to be responsible for anyone but yourself so you can go to bed as late as you want and be extremely spontaneous if you so please. It's really fun, but then you realize how selfish you've become. 

2. I'm really judgmental. I'm super good at looking at people and making assumptions about them and what they're like and their background and how smart they are and, if they have a tattoo, where it is and a general idea of what it says. And that's not okay. I am doing the absolute opposite of communicating Jesus's lovely relentless grace to people around me when I'm judging them like this. I'm just being a meanie.

3. Studying in groups is really helpful. Really. Like a lot.

4. Also, studying is really helpful. Just as a general concept.

5. Friends are better than medicine and you don't have to wash them down with water. Sometimes when I'm feeling really stressed out I'll go hang out with my friends, even for just a short time, and getting their hugs and being in their presence helps me to realize that I'm overdramatizing my life and to just chill out. And to do my homework.

6. This is more of a life lesson, but...use your mirrors when you're backing up. Every time. Even if you are driving the only car in a very empty parking lot. Sometimes there are telephone poles directly behind you and rearview mirrors and side mirrors allow you to be aware of those and not hit them.

I'm sure I've learned other things, but those are the main things I can think of right now. 

And, with that, I'm 1/4 done with college! I don't feel old enough! This morning while I was moving all of my earthly belongings from my room at school to my car to my room at home, I thought about how weird it was that just a year ago I was trying to imagine what college would be like, and now, here I am, coming home from my freshman year. Bam. Killed that. Donezo.

Love, 
Lauralicious

No comments:

Post a Comment