Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Worst Job in the World

I hate my job.

Every Sunday afternoon,
Instead of taking my Sunday afternoon nap,
I am charged with the care and keeping of
Eight crazies.

I get paid to make sure they put their shoes on the right feet
And try two bites of all their food
And brush their teeth before they go to bed
And participate in activities that I don’t always even like.

I have to keep them out of harm’s way
Until Saturday,
When whoever takes care of them comes and takes them home.

No one told me this is how it would be.

I was not adequately warned of the dangers of this job.

When I interviewed,
Thomas Martin did not tell me:
“Be careful. You will fall in love.”
Actually, maybe he did. But he should have forced me to listen.

When I interviewed,
We went through theoretical scenarios
And talked about why I wanted this job.
And I really wanted it.

And now here I am.
Three years later.

Every Sunday,
The most beautiful
Happy
Pure
Joyful
Souls are placed in to my care.
It’s my job to make sure they go back home
Better than they were when they were given to me.

I am put in a position where I
Can’t
Not fall in love.

I am put in a position where I
Cry
Every time a car containing the heart of one I love
Drives in the direction away from me.

And then I’m left with all of these others,
Who are just like me,
But who understand
And we hold each other
While we
Cry.

And then it’s time to get ready for more
Love and
Friendship and
Songs about little green frogs and
Trying new things and
Outpouring of emotions and
No sleep.

And we will die empty.


I love my job.

Love, 
Lauralicious

No comments:

Post a Comment