Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Lamenting the Loss of Lovely Lula Mae

Dear friends, 

This week has been hard for me. Not only is it been finals week, but my most dear and sassy automobile friend, Lula Mae, was replaced by a beautiful forest green Subaru with power windows and a key fob. I'm told that his name is Wilfred. 


Lula Mae's name is Lula Mae after my great-grandmother, who is quite hilariously spunky. I love my great-grandmother (we call her GG) much more than I love Lula Mae and for better reasons, but they both helped me to get here today. It's cheesy but true. 


I've always wanted a nicer car. I've had Lula Mae (the car) since I could drive, and we've had some really interesting times together. Not all were good, like the time I hit a man named Derek (he was fine, thank goodness! It was quite traumatic though), but nonetheless we enjoyed our quality time together. 


To me Lula Mae represents an era of growth. She harbored me while I sang to very weird Canadian songs, did an eleven-point turn once in the dark in Six Mile after a high school basketball game, had some weird 70s/middle eastern dance parties, sometimes cried, got multiple parking tickets, had interesting conversations with friends, backed into a mailbox and later a telephone pole, bonded with siblings and roommates, talked to myself a lot, drove to my first Camp interview and then to Camp every week all summer for three summers...and now we have gone our separate ways. 


And guys, I miss her. I miss my baby. She didn't like me very much, as made evident by her jerkiness and her engine light being on for the past two and a half years. To be honest, I didn't like her all that much either. My favorite adjective for her was "dinky" because that's what she was. She was not in great shape in any way. I once tried to describe her as "champagne" colored, but then was told that she's not classy enough to be champagne. She's beer-colored, and everybody knows that champagne is always better and prettier and more classy than beer. I was sometimes embarrassed to be with her (that's mean but true). She made all of these creaky clunky noises whenever I went over a speed bump (and there are five speed bumps to get to my apartment, so that's kind of a lot of creakiness and clunkiness) and didn't like to obey me when I put on the brakes. I complained the whole time we were together. But now that she's gone, I kind of miss her and her crabby self. We were spunky together. Do not get me wrong, because I really really like Wilfred. I've always wanted a Subaru (do not tell Lula this, but I've been wanting to get out of this relationship for the past two and a half years) and now I have one with all of the amenities that Lula Mae didn't have. Wilfred's engine light isn't on, and that is a blessing for sure. 


Since I started driving Lula Mae, I've changed a lot. I'm not going to go through each change I have undergone, but I am no longer a timid sixteen-year old closet sock-skating enthusiast. I'm much more open about my great love for sock-skating and, even better, I'm myself much more often these days.


I'm not saying I want Lula Mae back, because I don't. I'm past that point in my life. I'm just here to say that our time together was more valuable than I could have ever imagined it being until we no longer had each other.

One of my most favorite bands, The Head and the Heart, says, "All things must end, darlin," and it's true. They must. They do and they did and they will. I am here to commemorate the time that Lula Mae and I got to spend together. Transportation was always an adventure with her. 


So here's to Wilfred and new transportation adventures! Adventure is out there! 


Love,
Lauralicious

No comments:

Post a Comment