Tuesday, March 12, 2013

I Could've Danced All Night

This is how I feel every time I go dancing. I love dancing so much. Also, if you don't know this song, you should watch My Fair Lady because it is a wonderful wonderful movie.

In my mind, going dancing is quite similar to eating ice cream. I don't think about it constantly, but once the idea of it is in my mind, I want it so badly and I have a hard time focusing on other things. While I'm doing it I do my best to relish the experience because it's so dear to my heart. It fills me right up to the brim with joy. After I'm done, I just want to go back and do it again.


Thinking about it makes me realize that there are a lot of things that make me happy. Things like (in no particular order) my fam, painting my fingernails bright happy colors, 90s sitcoms, fun friends, sunshine, Camp, sleeping, Girl Scout cookies, Emma the baby who is actually more like a toddler now, and dancing. Dancing just makes my heart so warm and happy.


I love losing myself in the middle of a bunch of people and letting go of what people care about me to wiggle and waggle all over the dance floor. I love when a guy comes up and grabs my hand and pulls me onto the dance floor without warning. I love trying to have conversations over the noise of the music while also moving our feet to the beat (which rhymes...hehe!).  And, I.Love.Spinning. I love spinning and twirling and gallivanting all over. I don't mind the fact that I'm out of breath all night or that boys are gross and sweaty and have cooties (I'm willing to overlook cooties when I go dancing) or that sometimes we run into people and that sometimes people step on my feet. It's all completely worth it.


Let's be honest. I am not a fan of physical activity. I'm too clumsy for it and I'm bad at it and I'm not competitive enough. Whenever I play sports, I'm doing it for fun, and then everybody on my team gets all mad at me for not winning and for not giving up my life for one goal or whatever, and I just don't love it. But then I started dancing. I remember the night I learned to shag, and when I got home, I kept doing the basic partnerless in my room because I just didn't want to stop. I had finally found a type of physical activity that I enjoyed!


There are really two types of dancing. There's my kind of dancing, and then there's the other kind. The other kind is the kind where you're just chilling on the dance floor trying to come up with moves that are cool enough to make you not look like a lame-o in front of everybody you're with. Some people are good at this. I am awful. I am in misery when put into a situation where I have to do this kind of dancing. I try to avoid it at all costs. Unlike real dancing (I call it real dancing but some people are really not a fan of that because they like the other kind way too much), where I am willing to forgo studying and sleeping for it. So now you are educated on the types of dancing and my love for the better kind.


I got to go dancing (FOR FREE) with RUF and other campus ministries last weekend and it was wonderful. Not that I was expecting anything less (because I wasn't), but it was just better than I was expecting and I enjoyed it and I didn't want to stop...but my friends made me unfortunately. I forgive them though.


If you've never gone dancing, you absolutely should. I'm serious. It will change your life. Forever.


Love,

Lauralicious

PS I had coffee today so I'm super jittery and that is why this post is so energetic. Just so you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment